Tuesday, October 23, 2007

It sucks when you don't win!


I was recently conversing about todays commercials with the Iggli crew, and I realized that my mind completely tunes out all commercials unless I perceive it as negative. Now I can't imagine that companies want their consumers to only remember the crap that they put out. Ebay has a new marketing lineup with the phrase "it's better when you win it". . . Now that got me to thinking about my experience with Ebay. You never get what you want, some 17 year old kid with a palm or a professional always gets that last bet. It's not better to win it. . Cause you never win, you just loose countless clicks that turn into 2nd best bets. Ebay is great for the seller, to sell something at 10 fold what you bought it for. .. Awesome! Or Visa and their commercials where cash users somehow disrupt the rotation of the earth when they bring out their wallet.

If you want me to pay attention to your product, make it interesting. Mastercard has captivated my attention with their "priceless" campaign for years. It's something new every time and it is witty and well produced. I actually enjoy them! I'm also a Hotmail user since the dawn of time. .. eh whatever it works I don't have to try and switch anything over. However I'm becoming annoyed with their new magnifying glass effect on their adds. When your cursor scrolls over it, it balloons to 2/3rds of the screen. I have done this maybe 200 times already. It is orange and about a car. . . Thats all I know. Nothing else. . . Is that really marketing? There have been a cornucopia of funny, sexy and witty commercials through out time and they actually keep me on the edge of my seat, and talking about them to my friends. You'd think with all the money that goes into marketing they could leave a positive imprint on their prospected consumers

2 comments:

Aaroneous said...

Totally man... How many commercials out right now will stick in peoples' minds like the Budweiser Frogs? Maybe the Travelocity Gnome, the Geico Cavemen, the Mastercard commercials you mentioned... There are inevitably others I forgot that deserve to be on the list...

I personally LOVED the Reebok Terry Tate: Office Linebacker series - they weren't really commercials, but hey, I remember that they are Reebok commercials...

Acquiesce4101 said...

I hate all of those. . not sure about the Reebok one. Especially that damn gnome.