Friday, September 28, 2007

Redman and Akir

The phrase “if these walls could talk” losses its meaning when walking into the lobby of the Fox Theatre. The walls don’t talk, they shout. They are riddled with pictures of shows from Snoop Dogg to String Cheese Incident and Tom Petty to Primus. This venue has lived an amazing life so far. Hundreds of world-renowned artists have played there. Thursday was no different, maximum occupancy was hit at about 10:30 when Akir took the stage. Accompanying him was Hasan Salaam, Payshir, and DJ G.I. Joe. The energy there never ceases to amaze me. With two tiers on both sides of the elongated room it forms a pit of 600+ people, siphoning the energy to the center. If words could only explain when Redman took the stage. Every show I go to I’m constantly reminded why I live for this. The crowd jumps up and down in waves caused by un-synced minds. I only watch from the balcony or back stage, I’m mostly over the shoulder-to-shoulder mayhem. I prefer the birds eye view over anything. The show went till about 1 am and I spent the rest of the night partying with the artists until about 4 am. I’m pleased that hip hop is not dead. .. now if rap could only face that plague. Redman did however give a speech that touched on music downloading. I stopped listening. . If he was asking me to stop, I wouldn’t. And if he was encouraging me to continue. . the speech was impertinent to me. GET OUT AND GO TO SOME SHOWS.

www.myspace.com/foxtheatre

www.myspace.com/akir
www.myspace.com/hasansalaam
www.myspace.com/payshir
www.myspace.com/djgijoe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dope. AKIR kicks ass.

Anonymous said...

well, this kid passed out at 4am, but the party continued on, believe you me. yeah, this show had one of the greatest energies ive seen at the fox. I dig the laid back style of Akir et al, but when Redman came on, The Fox went straight ape shit. and it wasn't the usually set list of some hits intermingled milder tracks thrown in to mix it up. Every song he did just made me want to get wild. I think 'how to roll a blunt' was the softest song he played.
It was a blast getting rowdy with Akir and DJ GI Joe upstairs while the show was going on. but then, towards the end, Redman thought it would be appropriate to bring up a segment of his career that I, as a hip hop fan, have tried to push out of my memory: How High, and more disturbingly, How High 2...don't get me wrong, it was a great flick to watch with bowl in hand, as you're passing out. But as a classic comedy?...not a chance. it saddens me to see one of hip hops originals, who always presented the image of 'i don't give a fuck what people think', go hollywood. sure, we saw Will Smith and Ice Cube make successful transitions from the studio to the silver screen, but guess what Redman? Both of those guys are inferior rappers, and better actors than you are. Please please please, I can't bear to see 'Dirty' in the has been rapper bin along with 'You Can Do It' and 'Parents Just Don't Understand"
Shit, maybe we'll even see a 'Soopaman Lova' sunday morning cartoon(I just copyrighted that idea, by the way)
Oh yeah, and on top of his self-promoting diatribe(which lasted longer than any of his songs), he gave us grief about downloading music. When you're too big time to even meet your opening act, you shouldn't bitch at your shows about losing money from downloads. I was inspired to go home and torrent a 1.09 GB Redman discography, and i can't wait for How High 2 to come to divx

samantha von x said...

hey, i took your advice and went to a show!

and i loved it.

hopefully other people will go see some hip hop as well.

:D